Sunday, April 6, 2008

Horton Hears a Who!?!

How do you keep a group of 4 boys and a baby happy during a movie??? FOOD!!

Today was Gage's first movie theater experience. I had the idea to take my nephews and Gage to see Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who when I saw the previews. So, my mom, Dave and I took my 3 nephews, Gage and Jillian to the movies! I had it planned so that we would see the 12:10 movie, we would get 4 kids meals, and hot dogs and head to the big screen.

All was going good, my mom brought my nephews over for some outside, run-yourself tired time before heading over to the mall. We all rode up in the elevator to head to the ticket booth. 3 kid tickets and 3 adult tickets (Gage and Jilly were free) and off to the food stand. I asked, what is in the kids meal...popcorn, candy and a drink. Ummm, where is the actual food? No hot dog, no chicken nuggets. No. So, I ordered 2 big dogs and we split them in 2. We head into the theater, Gage and Jillian were in the double stroller I affectionately call my 18-wheeler, and find our seats. Perfect, there are 6 seats on the second row up the stairs. The big boys make their way, each getting the "kids meal box" and Grandma takes her seat. Gage was going to sit in her lap and I would hold/feed Jillian...Dave would offer a hand where needed. So, I give Jillian to Dave and go to get Gage.

That is when it happened...fear sets in and the ear popping screams begin. Now, it is already dark in the theater and the previews have started. All the other kids are watching quietly, and Gage is screaming!!!!! My mom, bless her heart, realizes that he is scared, grabs his hot dog and takes him out of the theater. A few minutes pass and I head out to make sure all is well. With a few distractions we get Gage back in the theater, but he is NOT going to sit in the seats. So, we park it in the handicap row where Gage sits in his stroller drinking his beloved Spirit, eating popcorn and happily watching his first motion picture.

Jillian did great too. She ate, grabbed at my diet coke and watch the show for about 45 mins before passing out, not to wake until we are leaving the movie. My nephews were perfect, totally content with their food and the show. All in all it was a success.

So, I learned that the key to keeping a 2 year old happy during the first movie is a Spirit, a hot dog, popcorn and a stroller view of the screen!


post signature

3 comments:

Kim said...

Ali's first movie was Tarzan and Jack and Kitty saw Toy Story 2. Ali was right up in there enjoying the show, the popcorn, the experience. Jack and Kitty slept in their double stroller through the whole thing :-) I am glad Gage settled in and enjoyed the show...now he can become a regular!

Sherry said...

Too funny! I'll be sure to keep that in mind in a couple of years!

Thanks for reading my blog and keeping up with all of the things going on in my life as well as my sister's. It is amazing how God has connected so many people together through these tough times!

I look forward to knowing you through the blogging world!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss is classic; after seeing Horton Hears a Who i was reminded how much that guy can pack into a simple storyline...