Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Girls Trip

From L to R: Amy, Sarah, Me, Kasey, Alicia
Takes at Kasey's Bachlorette Party



I have written a few times about my dear friend Kasey and her baby, Ethan, who was diagnosed with JMML, a rare form of Leukemia. Let me give you a little background on how we all know each other. Alicia, Kasey and I all started freshman year of college together. Alicia and I actually had dorm rooms right next to each other. It was thanks to Alicia that I got my job in the Financial Aid Office. It was a job that I would have from my Sophomore to Senior years and one that paid for the majority of my college expenses. Kasey worked right next door, in the Cashiers office. It was a nice set up. Although Kasey and Alicia were best friends, and even went on to share an apartment together, we were all pretty close.

Kasey, who has a beautiful voice, sang in my wedding. She was also the maid of honor in Alicia's wedding, and I was a bride's maid. After Kasey moved up north, Alicia and I made a mad dash up to NY City, where we stayed all of 24 hours (not recommended). We did however manage to squeeze in mani/pedi, eat at Serendipity, and go to the Regis and Kelly show! After which we drove to Kasey's wedding, where Alicia was the matron of honor. Needless to say, we all have some history together and some seriously funny stories. We shared the good and the bad times since we were all away from home for the first time. We essentially grew up as women together. It was a great support group.

That brings me to now. Right after I wrote my blog about the American Idol Gives Back I got the email from Kasey stating that Ethan was a very sick little boy. After reading, I immediately texted Alicia. Since then, Alicia and I have been talking about how horrible we feel for Kasey and how helpless we feel being so far away. We then decided to get some plane tickets and go for a visit.

I will be leaving Gage here, at our home, with my mom. She knows his routine and I know they will have so much fun this weekend. Especially because she is taking him to her house to feed the llamas. Whenever Gage sees them he says, "Hi Llama Mama, Hi Llama" in a really cute high pitched voice! Dave is going to visit his family down south, and Jillian and I will be flying with Alicia to visit Kasey.

It wasn't until tonight, while talking on the phone with Janelle, that I realized I would be visiting a children's hospital. I have been so focused on seeing Kasey and Ethan, the location hadn't really crossed my mind. It will be tough. I am no stranger to the hospital setting, but I haven't had a lot of experience on this side of things. After Dave's accident, I was the one people were visiting and supporting. Let me tell you, this is a hard place to be too. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. That was the best piece of advice I received several years ago. That, along with what my mom said to me when I called her with the news of Dave's accident, which was to be strong no matter what. Those two things have kept me going forward. I hope to reinforce those to Kasey this weekend.

Man, life can be hard sometimes. It was like I was playing a great hand in poker when, suddenly, I get a new hand dealt to me. I felt that way in October 2002, and I know Kasey must feel that way now. Alicia and I are going to support Kasey this weekend the best way we can...with some good 'ol Texas loving! Please pray that we are a blessing to Kasey. Pray that Jillian is a great traveling baby. That was have save travels and that ultimately Ethan's total healing will force people to turn their eyes to God and trust in Him for their life's struggles...even when your hand of cards isn't what you wanted.

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with your friend's illness....Yeah, llamas are cool. They're gentle, beautiful and curious. Here at our Minnesota llama ranch, all the local kids love to pet 'em.

Kim said...

Welcome home honey! Sounds like your trip was a good one. Great pix of you all - you were definitely able to capture the experience on film :-)I'm glad that Jilly was so good and that you and Alicia were there to support Kasey. Looking forward to hearing more...