Friday, June 6, 2008

First Impression-My Sister's Keeper

I am not sure how far into this book you guys are, but what are your first impressions? Specifically, what do you think of creating a perfect genetic match for your terminally ill child? Make sure you don't give too much of the book away...no spoilers just yet!

In case you don't know how to leave a comment it is simple. Just click on the word "Comments" below. You can type your comment in the given box. Then, depending on whether you have a blog id or not, click on your area...if you don't have a blogger id you can just click the anonymous area. Just make sure to sign your name at the end of your comment so we know who you are!

Also, for anyone who happens to read this, we are not judging any decisions that a parent has made personally. None of us know what we would really do if we were in that situation. We are just giving our opinions based on what we have read in the book so far!




post signature

4 comments:

Jill said...

Well, I bought the book about 1 1/2 weeks ago - and read it in about 4-5 days. I couldn't put it down! The language was a little racey and some of the scenes either induced tears or made me cringe with their descriptions. BUT - the overall story line caused me to have lots of thoughts and discussions with my hubby.

We really struggled with what does assisted reproduction look like (seeing as we have gone down that road of infertility) and while we would not choose a "designer baby" and have a hard time thinking we'd ever let any embryos go (meaning implanting every last one even if it meant having 12 kids - scary - probably one reason we decided against it)....BUT, now that I have a child I cannot imagine NOT trying to conceive again to get a perfect match for my child if he was dying.

I'll save my other thoughts and "ifs and buts" for later discussions....it's just not black and white! The older I get the more I realize not much of life is...

Linsey said...

I am only on page 58 but I have some strong feelings about this book. I am not used to reading books with such intense, real life scenarios. It is a bit tough for me to get through.

With what I have read so far, I am having a hard time accepting this practice of finding a perfect genetic match. It seems so unfair for the "perfect match", too much pression for one little person to handle. Would they feel guilty when the sibbling they were born to save dies? How would a parent react if the "perfect match" dies from complications and the sick child dies as well? As of right now there are too many factors that would lead me to accept this practice. But, how far would I go to save my child? I don't know if I could go that far...not a life for a life.

Kasey said...

Now that I am actually living with the same type of scenario in the book (having an infant son that has a life-threatening form of leukemia), I feel very comfortable with the fact that I could not conceive another child with the sole intention of using the bone marrow from that baby to try to save Ethan. Especially because a sibling isn't always a perfect match... alot of times they are, but not always, and though I'd do anything to save Ethan's life, I can't knowingly and intentionally create another life for that purpose. I'd in a sense be saying that Ethan was more important than the "new" baby and that whatever the new baby would have to endure (which is quite a lot) didn't matter to me as much. I don't know.... but I'm just saying that in my own "real life" situation, I couldn't do it.

Alicia said...

I am commenting on a different section of your blog- but oh well- cracks me up about the whole teething thing- but don't forget Gage is a "two" year old now- it get's even better!! Love you!